Halloween is not a big thing in NZ. Yes there are some Halloween treats, costumes and decorations in the stores, but you're not inundated with it. Some kids do go out, and I saw a few walking around my neighbourhood. No one dresses up at work and it's not talked about too much. There seems to be an overwhelming sentiment that Halloween is an American tradition and a pretty dumb one. I've heard over and over again that parents don't like Halloween because they teach their kids not to take treats from strangers. I find this such a strange attitude because I think Halloween is really one of the better traditions. It's lots of fun for everyone and encourages people to be giving (and thanking).
I have not seen any carved pumpkins, and no wonder, pumpkins are not orange here but more greeny-yellowy-brown. Although I was invited to a Halloween party (by a Canadian) I was away and couldn't attend. And although I bought some treats, no trick or treaters came to my door. I guess I'm not really feeling like it's Halloween, so there will be no photo of Howie in his lion costume this year. And poor Tui doesn't even have a costume.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment