Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Winter Is On The Way

Yesterday morning I woke up to the first day of frost for the year. It was about 5C overnight and there was a tiny bit of frost on the car. But then things warmed up and I had lunch outside in my t-shirt. This is winter in Auckland.
This morning I woke up again quite cold. My house is very poorly insulated. I have some heaters on timers that come on before I wake up but it was still freezing inside this morning. I bundled up and took the dogs down to the beach where the sun was shining and it was actually pretty warm. I'm sure it was much warmer outside than in - this is winter in my house.
I met a man on the beach who swims (without a wetsuit) year round in the sea. He said the beach I take my dogs to is one of the best swimming beaches and he swims there almost everyday. He also told me that the very decayed carcass that Howie found on the beach last week and ate about half of, was not a cat as I thought, but a possum. Apparently they live on top of the cliffs by the sea and this one must have fallen off the cliff onto the beach. Howie's first taste of possum - and he liked it.

No comments: